What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape.

What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape.

Postby Bondalsf » Tue May 26, 2009 11:31 am

I want to figure out at what speed I will get the maximum mpg in my ford escape. If you don't know what it is, is there a way to figure it out?
Bondalsf

Re: What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape. Drive the posted speed limit.

Postby gothamgirl » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:10 pm

Drive the posted speed limit.
gothamgirl

Re: What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape. to meet epa milage standards al

Postby kantirosel » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:40 pm

to meet epa milage standards all vehicles are tested at 55 mph and on a level surface. so it has nothing to do with engine rpm you drive make sure tires are up to spec 35 psi and air filter clean no jack rabbit starts and you will score fine
kantirosel

Re: What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape. Optimum is engine turned off)

Postby DinterkiSeaskli » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:51 am

Bondalsf wrote:I want to figure out at what speed I will get the maximum mpg in my ford escape. If you don't know what it is, is there a way to figure it out?

Optimum is engine turned off:)

Other than that there is a tradeoff.

The wind resistance goes up with the square of vehicle speed. Rolling resistance goes up linearly with vehicle speed. So the horsepower required of the engine definitely goes up with vehicle speed; no exception!

On the other hand the engine creates horsepower most efficiently (pounds of fuel per hoserpower generated is lowest) at low engine speeds, high load. Thus the engine prefers to be in top gear.

So generally the lowest vehicle speed in top gear will give the best MPG. You can tell you are in top gear by listening carefully or observing your tachometer. You usually get into top gear beween 35 and 45 MPH.
DinterkiSeaskli

Re: What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape. it depends on how the car is ge

Postby JohnCDillard » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:03 pm

it depends on how the car is geared. In general it's something like 45 or 50mph in top gear.
JohnCDillard

Re: What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape. It's really like this Rolli

Postby Anadiycar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:52 am

It's really like this: Rolling resistance is more or less

a constant. Wind resistance, which sucks up most

of your engines' work, is relative to speed and I think

exponentially so. More speed, less mileage. Find the

"happy medium" that suits you best.
Anadiycar

Re: What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape. As you go up in speed above 50

Postby jonas » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:51 pm

As you go up in speed above 50 or 55, your vehicle is expending more of you engine's power to maintain speed due to wind resistance. IE 1970's 55 mph speed limit to conserve fuel

I read where they came up with displacement on demand, (V-8 turning into V-4 when power is not needed) that vehicle generally runs 45- 50% available Hp at cruising speed of 55. And it takes like 8-10% more HP for every 10 mph over that.
jonas

Re: What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape. Best MPG is in the lowest speed

Postby welivetogether04 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:07 am

Best MPG is in the lowest speed of the highest gear. Find that speed, and you'll be set :D
welivetogether04

Re: What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape. most likely, 55 or 60 in O/D

Postby AltaGid » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:28 pm

Bondalsf wrote:I want to figure out at what speed I will get the maximum mpg in my ford escape. If you don't know what it is, is there a way to figure it out?

most likely, 55 or 60 in O/D
AltaGid

Re: What is the optimum cruising speed in terms of mpg for my ford escape. 55 mph ==> 29 mpg

Postby HudGotaMor » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:32 am

55 mph ==> 29 mpg
HudGotaMor

Next

Return to Ford Forum