Can a bad cadillac converter cause a car to die out while driving and have problems starting up....

Can a bad cadillac converter cause a car to die out while driving and have problems starting up....

Postby Awerums » Mon May 18, 2009 5:35 pm

and then start up and drive for a few days then die back out?

2001 chevy impala 6 cyl

sorry,catalytic, lol im not real auto savy! lol
Awerums

Re: Can a bad cadillac converter cause a car to die out while driving and have problems starting up.... I dont know about a cadillac on

Postby petrvad » Mon May 25, 2009 7:53 pm

I dont know about a cadillac one but I had a ford one that caused me problems! lol
petrvad

Re: Can a bad cadillac converter cause a car to die out while driving and have problems starting up.... Forget about "rotten egg s

Postby gottalexii » Wed May 27, 2009 1:06 am

Forget about "rotten egg smell" that is from the gas you are using (sulphur content) A plugged or internally damaged catalytic converter will cause a whole host of problems including what you have described.
gottalexii

Re: Can a bad cadillac converter cause a car to die out while driving and have problems starting up.... It's usually much more help

Postby Grover » Wed May 27, 2009 5:58 pm

Awerums wrote:and then start up and drive for a few days then die back out?

2001 chevy impala 6 cyl

It's usually much more helpful to list the exact symptoms as best you can, and not speculate on what part may or may not be bad. My doctor reminds of this every visit.

Sounds like a vacuum leak from loose throttle body bolts. Intermittent dying could also be caused by a hot short in a sensor, or possibly other vacuum leaks at connections on the engine. If it's been more than a year since the last tuneup, that could also have an affect, along with a clogged air cleaner.

Not that you mentioned it, but the rotten egg smell is not a symptom of much more than the converter actually working. Most new cars smell that way until they break in.
Grover

Re: Can a bad cadillac converter cause a car to die out while driving and have problems starting up.... It's catalytic converter, a

Postby patnadsat » Sun May 31, 2009 9:36 am

It's catalytic converter, and yes it can. It can cause a loss of power and actually cause the engine to die. If you get that along with a rotten egg smell from the exhaust, that will be the problem.
patnadsat

Re: Can a bad cadillac converter cause a car to die out while driving and have problems starting up.... Yep... if it's plugged up,

Postby Waserichi » Sun May 31, 2009 11:58 am

Yep... if it's plugged up, it will do all that you say it's doing. AIR THAT GOES IN AN ENGINE MUST COME OUT. If this continues you could cause the engine to build up too much back pressure and then blow an intake or head gasket.
Waserichi

Re: Can a bad cadillac converter cause a car to die out while d

Postby dariuswilkinson » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:24 am

It's catalytic converter, and yes it can. It can cause a loss of power and actually cause the engine to die. If you get that along with a rotten egg smell from the exhaust, that will be the problem.

That is a definite yes, and can cause significant loss of power and engine malfunction. I had this before, and got a replacement from a car parts color store.
dariuswilkinson

Re: Can a bad cadillac converter cause a car to die out while d

Postby hybenz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:33 am

Awerums wrote:and then start up and drive for a few days then die back out?

2001 chevy impala 6 cyl

Simple things need simple solutions. Replace the cat con and the problem is solved! there are a lot of replacement cadillac parts available in today's internet and its up to you to choose from which brand fits on your vehicle. There are also DIY manual in case you have problem on the instructions for the fix.

Re: Can a bad cadillac converter cause a car to die out whi

Postby stenejohn » Fri May 18, 2012 10:16 am

Hi,
Cadillac its new for me , so have no Idea.
Let me discuss with my friends.

Thank you.
Dune buggy
stenejohn

Return to Cadillac Forum